ATM/Visa Check Cards
Get cash and check the balances of your accounts with a Community Credit Union ATM/Visa Check Card.
Plus, you can perform a balance inquiry within seconds to determine the balance in your account. (Remember, the balance will not reflect checks that are outstanding and may not reflect deposits made to your account the day of your inquiry).
These cards allow you to charge purchases against your Credit Union Checking Account. It works like a check wherever visa is accepted. Where checks aren't accepted or when you don't want to carry your checkbook, use your CCU ATM/Visa Check Card instead! Wherever you see the Visa or CU24 symbol , simply present your card, and the amount of your purchase will be deducted automatically from your account. Your Visa Check Card will also serve as an ATM card.
What is a chip card, and why am I getting one?
- Chip cards are payment cards that have an embedded chip. Chip cards offer you advanced security when you use the chip to pay in the store.
Why are chip card transactions more secure?
- Chip card transactions offer you advanced security in-store and at the ATM by making every transaction unique. And, your chip card is more difficult to counterfeit or copy. If the card data and the one-time code are stolen, the information cannot be used to create counterfeit cards and commit fraud.
Where can I use my chip card?
- Anywhere that VISA is accepted. Your card will have a chip and a magnetic stripe to accommodate any situation. During the transition to chip, you can swipe your card as you normally would and follow the prompts. If the terminal is chip-enabled, it will prompt you to insert it instead. If you already know your chip card works there, start by inserting your card.
How do I use my chip card in stores?
- During the transition to chip, you can swipe your card as you normally would and follow the prompts. If the terminal is chip-enabled, it will prompt you to insert it instead. If you already know your chip card works there, start by inserting your card. These basic steps will help ensure successful transactions:
- Insert your card with the chip toward the terminal, facing up. Do not remove until prompted.
- Provide your signature or PIN as prompted by the terminal. Some transactions may not require either.
- When the terminal says the transaction is complete, remove your card.
Always remember when you use your chip card to follow the prompts on the terminal and leave your card inserted until prompted to remove it.
What should I expect when using my chip card at ATMs?
- Depending on the type of ATM, your experience may differ slightly.
- If your card stays visible, use these basic steps for a successful ATM transaction:
- Insert and remove your card as you normally would. This tells a chip-enabled ATM whether you have a chip card or not. Then follow the prompts.
- If the ATM is chip-enabled, it will prompt you to insert the card again and leave it inserted. The ATM will clamp down on your chip card to hold it in place until the transaction is complete. Do not try to remove your card until prompted by the ATM.
- When the ATM says the transaction is complete, remember to take your card.
If the ATM is not yet chip-enabled, follow the prompts and complete the transaction as you do today. You will not have to reinsert your card.
If your card is not visible, the ATM will automatically detect and use the chip. If you're used to an ATM returning your card immediately, note that your chip card will now be returned at the end of the transaction.
Will anything change during my online purchases?
- No. You will use your chip card for online purchases by following the same process you do today.
Can I use my chip card outside of the U.S.?
- Yes. Chip cards are widely used in international markets and are accepted in more than 80 countries. Having a chip card will make it easier for you to make purchases when you travel internationally.
For More Frequently Asked Questions please visit http://gochipcard.com/
SURF is a surcharge-free alliance of select Maine Credit Unions formed to help increase member access to surcharge-free ATMs. CCU is part of the SURF Alliance, meaning that members using their ATM/Visa Check Card that bears the SURF logo will enjoy a surcharge-free transaction.
Just how large is the SURF network? Various Maine Credit Unions represent more than 230 ATMs that are part of this surcharge-free alliance. To find the closest SURF ATM near you, Click Here!
- Don't panic, retrace your steps to where you last used it. If not found then contact the Credit Union 207-783-2096 x5003 during business hours, if after business hours report immediately to 1-800-472-3272.
- Review your recent charges on the card with a Card Services Representative to see if they were fraudulent or not.
- Replace card per Payment Services recommendation. (A replacement card fee may be assessed)
If you are planning to travel away from home, its always a good idea to contact Community Credit Union to make us aware of where you will be traveling. This will help to eliminate any problems you may experience with your Visa Check Card.
- Advance notice will help ensure that legitimate purchases are approved. In addition, you will want to verify your daily spending and cash withdrawal restrictions to make sure they are appropriate.
- Memorize your Visa card Personal Identification Number (PIN), for security purposes. never write your PIN on your Visa card.
- Keep your Visa card account number
and the lost/stolen customer service contact number in a safe place
(separate from your wallet or handbag).